|Title||Nekoosa Mill |
|Subject (LCSH)||Nekoosa (Wis.) -- History; Wood County (Wis.) -- History |
|Description||""NEKOOSA PAPER COMPANY"
Such was the title of the company to build the first paper and pulp mill on Section 10 T 21 R 5.
Daniel Whitney first selected this point along the river in 1834 and called it Whitney Rapids. He built the saw mill probably on Gov. Lot 2 close to the north line of Gov. Lot 3 and on the east side of the river.
The dam reached to Gov. Lot 1, an island in the river.
The paper company located their dam just a little below this, with the east end of the dam on Gov. Lot 3 and the mill of to-day, located on Gov. Lot 5 on the west bank of the Wisconsin River.
Daniel Whitney, by reason of the rights he obtained from the Chiefs of the Menominee Indians built his saw mill on Whitney Rapids in 1831 and operated it about twelve to fourteen years and then it was abandoned.
His interest was located in the water powers on both sides of the river at Grand Rapids about this time.
In December 27, 1854 Whitney sold a one-half interest to Moses M. Strong, a very prominent attorney living in the southern part of the state.
August 15, 1857 Daniel Whitney and his wife Emmeline S. Whitney gave Moses M. Strong a warranty deed to the property, thus placing an entire interest to Strong.
It covered the Government lots in both Section 3 and 10.
Moses N. Strong proceeded to organize the Nekoosa Lumber Co. and records indicate that for his interest he received $40,000. The lumber company built a dam from Gov. Lot 2 to the Island but the high water after took this dam out, and nothing further was done to develop the power and soon after the lumber company went into bankruptcy. Moses M. Strong again acquired title to the property in 1862-63. The property was all but abandoned until about 1887.
The developments that seemed to be in the making among the other powers nearer the Rapids stirred interest in this power.
George N. Wood is responsible for the active interest he finally developed in the power and succeeded in getting his brother Frank to join him buying this property. George obtained an option from Mr. Strong and then worked on the proposition with the final result that Moses M. Strong sold to F. J. Wood and Geo. N. Wood, the property December 31, 1887.
Thos. F. Nash interested his personal and long time friend Col. Vilas, in the proposition and Mr. Nash bought the Wood title November 17, 1888.
In 1893 the Nekoosa Paper Company was organized and Mr. Nash deeded the property to his company and at once became its president and manager. Associated with Mr. Nash was Frank Garrison and L. M. Alexander as stockholders of the Nekoosa Paper Company.
The Village of Nekoosa was incorporated August 1893
An interesting feature relative to the machinery of this mill is the fact that the paper machine installed was the same one as was exhibited by the Beloit Iron Works at the World's Fair in Chicago in 1892, where it was shown to the world as a model paper machine.
When the mill was ready at Nekoosa, this machine was taken down and brought to Nekoosa and set in place where it may be seen to-day doing duly as an efficient machine. " This image is from Volume 1 of 100 years of pictorial & descriptive history of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin, while the quoted description is from Volume 2. |
|Creator||Taylor, T. A. (Theodore Asa) |
|Community||Wisconsin Rapids |
|Collection||100 years of pictorial & descriptive history of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin |
|Submitter||McMillan Memorial Library|
|Rights||This item is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0. This allows private, educational and non-commercial use with attribution. Contact the Library to obtain permission for other uses. |
|Type||Still image |