About the New Berlin Historical Society Collection...
From the land grant days of 1839, New Berlin has developed from an agricultural community to a mostly
urban setting. The New Berlin Historical Society was founded in 1964 to preserve New Berlin's history.
Artifact collections are displayed in six historic buildings located in Historical Park, 19765 National Ave.
The archives contain a collection of images and documents donated by the Swartz family, whose large
progressive farm was located in the NE corner of New Berlin. The record begins with the diary entries of
a 20 year-old Peter Morgan Swartz, son of William who bought the farm in 1842. Through several
generations of management the farm became known for its adoption of best practices, including early
promotion of alfalfa as the best source of forage. Later the farm developed extensive orchards, shipping
apples throughout the country. Many pictures were taken at the Cornfalfa farm by the Swartz family to
document their best practices as the farm grew and rose to prominence in Wisconsin beyond.
The New Berlin Historical Society is pleased to be able to share these images through Wisconsin Heritage