Northernaire Resort Collection
The Northernaire Resort was designed by the baseball player Cy Williams and constructed by Carl Marty and his brother in 1947. It opened in 1948 to much excitement. The Northernaire, or the "Waldorf of the Wilderness" as it was fondly called, was a luxury resort located on both Deer and Big Stone Lakes just miles from the town of Three Lakes. Open year round, the resort boasted only 60 exquisitely appointed rooms and suites. The resort had a swimming pool, boats, facilities for horseback riding and summer/winter sports equipment, just to name a few. Adjacent to the resort was a golf course and supper club, the Showboat, both of which were built and opened by Carl Marty in 1940. Perhaps one of the most infamous aspects of the resort was its second restaurant, Chicken-In-The-Woods, were guests could enjoy a snack and take in the wildlife at night. The animals were domesticated by Carl Marty, an avid naturalist, and would sit outside of the restaurant for the vacationers to view. Of course, these animals were "Wild" in the eyes of the vacationers. In 1965, Carl Marty built Sheltered Valley, a ski hill located near the resort where vacationers could practice the skills they had just learned at the resort. The Northernaire entertained wealthy individuals from all over the United States until 1979, when Carl Marty passed away. For years the resort was constantly changing hands and owners were forced to claim bankruptcy. However, in 2007 the resort was re-opened once again, but as a complex of condos and suites with a spa attached.
Camps were, and still are, a large presence in the Three Lakes area. The earliest private girls' camp in NorthernWisconsin was Camp Idyle Wyld, founded in 1917, and the earliest boys' camp was Camp Minne-Wonka, established sometime in the 1910s. Other camps started in the early- to mid-nineteenth century were Camp Honeyrock, Camp Luther and O-Than-Agon Camp. Camp Honeyrock and Camp Luther are Christian camps, and are still running today. The boys' camp, Camp Minne-Wonka, became the O-Than-Agon Camp, a girls' camp, in 1944 once America entered WWII.
About Three Lakes Historical Society
The Three Lakes Historical Society was founded in 1984, and the Three Lakes Historical Museum was founded in 1981 as part of the Three Lakes Centennial Celebration. The museum was originally located in the Chicago and North Western railroad depot. However, due to issues with the depot the museum was on the look-out for a new building. In 1982 the Three Lakes Historical Museum found a new home in the Johnson house, the oldest known dwelling in Three Lakes. Over the years, the museum committee has added numerous buildings and exhibits in an effort to house and display the collection and narrate the complex history of the Three Lakes area. The Three Lakes Historical Society is dedicated to collecting, preserving and sharing historical and cultural artifacts related to the history of the community of Three Lakes and the surrounding area.
Browse all collections